BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #nintweetasketch-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple Etch-a-sketch tweetcart in 233 chars

Z and X -> Up and down
Left and Right -> as self
shaking is on the menu

the cart:

s,j,x,y,r,b= 1,64,64,64,rect,btn
menuitem(5,"∧",function()s=1end)::_::if s>0then
memset(24576,103,8191)s=0end
x+=(b(1)and 1)or(b(0)and-1or 0)y+=(b(5)and 1)or(b(4)and-1or 0)pset(x,y,0)for i=60,j do
r(j+i,j-i,j-i,j+i,8)end
flip()goto _
P#89936 2021-04-03 21:53

[sfx]
Some music I made in a few hours. Copyright Nintendo for creating this music.

P#89926 2021-04-03 18:07 ( Edited 2021-04-04 00:29)

PICO Space

Cart #drakeblue_picospace-2 | 2023-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

v1.2
Defend the animals of the galaxy from the space weevil invasion in your grandad's space taxi!

Check the notice boards at space stations for prospective passengers. Gain rewards when they're delivered safely and discover how to defeat the weevil menace.

The galaxy is quickly becoming a more and more dangerous place so be careful out there - with 50-70 systems and some questionable government policies an animal needs to look after themselves!

Please report any bugs or if something is unclear below. Feedback helps me improve and is always welcome :)

Controls

Main Menu

• Use Up, Down and X to select options in the menus.
  • Return/Start/P will always take you to the Main Menu
  • Hold Return/Start/P for longer to access the normal PICO-8 menu.

I recommend a gamepad if you have one, but keys work fine too. Holding the X and O buttons together is useful to use the ship flip ability successfully. On mobile, I've found swiping my thumb backwards and forwards between the X and O buttons works okay, but it does seem easier to play with keys or a gamepad (to me at least).

Starting the Game

Use the up and down directions to highlight an option and X to select it.

• Begin New Game - starts a new game with the currently show captain in a new galaxy (Captain Magerquack by default).
  • Change Captain - chooses a new captain and galaxy with which to start a new game using the Begin New Game option. This doesn't affect the currently stored game or any game from a pasted code.
  • Continue Last Game - this retrieves the previously auto-saved game from your browser's cache or PICO-8's cartdata. The game is saved at the Dock Menu and on entering a system via a hyperjump.
    If you want to preserve further game states beyond this then use the next option.
  • Load From Pasted Code - every time the game is saved PICO Space places a save game code into the clipboard. By pasting this code into a text file or similar then multiple game saves can be maintained. To restore from one of these codes:
    > - copy the code into the clipboard from the application you've used to store it
    > - switch back to PICO Space running in PICO-8 and paste it
    > - Use X to select the Load From Pasted Code option in the menu

NOTE: THIS DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK IN THE BROWSER - YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE STANDALONE PICO-8 CONSOLE VERSION TO LOAD FROM SAVE CODES OR ACCESS THE GAME THROUGH SPLORE
THE GAME WILL BEHAVE UNPREDICTABLY (PROBABLY CRASH) IF A MALFORMED CODE OR OTHER DATA IS PASTED INTO IT

• Set Difficulty - Adjusts how dangerous the galaxy is in the game. This option affects new games only so needs to be set before choosing "Begin New Game".
    > - Easy - for casual or inexperienced players, but still with some challenge
    > - Normal - a reasonable challenge, success is not guaranteed on each journey
    > - Hard - a difficult game likely to require multiple reloads

Please tell me if you think these ratings aren't very correct so I can try to tweak them

How to Get Around the Galaxy

(the following is an extract from the dog-eared manual you found in the glove compartment of your grandad's ship)

Congratulations on your purchase of a Farwilre P1C0 Star Taxi!

Your ship will enable you to fly anywhere within a system's boundary by directing it with the arrow keys or control stick (if fitted). Be careful of flying into a system's sun as there may be undesirable explosive consequences.

• The Short Range Scanner is useful to see what's close to you and is located in the bottom right of the viewscreen.
  • The current system or current target (with distance in standard galactic units) is shown in the top left.
  • Your ship's remaining shield energy is displayed in the bottom left. If this is depleted then it will flash to indicate that you should dock at the nearest space station for recharging.
  • To locate space stations or other objects within a star system press Return, Start or P to bring up the main menu.

Main Menu (Pause)

Select the System Map (with Up, Down and X) from the options shown.

System Map

Solar systems are large so to avoid excessive journey time it is advised to utilise your ship's hyperdrive from the System Map (where traffic laws permit).

To do this:

• Locate the cursor where you wish to jump to by using the direction keys
  • Press O, Z or V to execute a hyper jump
  • Press X to target the nearest system object. The target is shown in the top left and also indicated by a red marker.

Note: be sure to peruse the System Map in a safe location to avoid possible accidents while it has your attention. Last year 45% of ship accidents happened while pilots were viewing their map screens - don't let the next one happen to you!

Systems in PICO Space are linked by Hyperspace Wyrmholes (of as yet unknown origin). These can be used to traverse between stars even in ships that are unequipped with an interstellar-capable drive. Thus to travel to another system simply fly into the centre of a wyrmhole and your ship will travel through hyperspace to a point in the system indicated in the wyrmhole's name.

If you know which adjacent star you wish to travel to, it is easiest to find where the wyrmhole to it is by using the System Map.

To navigate about the greater galaxy and hence determine which wyrmholes to use it is advisable to examine the ship's Galaxy Scanner.

Galaxy Scanner

The Galaxy Scanner will open centred on your current location - shown by the ship icon and expanding circle indicator. Adjacent stars (i.e. those which are connected by a pair of wyrmholes) have lines drawn between them. Systems adjacent to your current location have green lines drawn to them. Corresponding wyrmholes should be visible on the System Map.

The view and cursor in the centre may be moved using the direction keys. The currently highlighted system will be the closest to the cursor position.

The galaxy is quite large so for optimal viewing it may be necessary to zoom the view in or out by holding the X key and using the Up and Down directions to change the scale of the view.

If your ship is fitted with an Interstellar Drive then it is possible to hyperjump (without traversing a wyrmhole) to adjacent systems by highlighting them with the cursor in this view and pressing O, Z or C.

Status

At any time your current status can be checked from the Main Menu by selecting this option.

The screen shows:

• You, the captain of the ship and your combat rating
  • Any current message
  • Your current passenger if one is present and to where they wish to be taken.
  • Information about any upgrades that have been added to your ship
  • The energy level remaining for you ship's shields
  • The danger level of this galaxy

Weaponry

Should you be unfortunate enough to encounter a hostile threat on your travels your P1C0 Space Taxi is fitted with a standard P3W Blaser; a small but adequate defensive weapon.

• Tap X (and release) and the P3W will fire
  • Hold X to charge multiple shots that will rapidly fire on releasing the trigger.
  • Note: while energy is diverted to charging the P3W your shields are unable to recover strength.

Dock Menu

When docked at a space station the following standard options will be available:

Notice Board

Waiting passengers are listed here for an enterprising space taxi owner to transport to their desired destination.

Use the Up, Down and X keys to select a passenger that you wish to transport. Be careful to choose a journey you can complete - an animal never backs out of a deal!

New Paint

Choose from a range of desirable colour schemes to customise your Farwilre pride and joy!

Launch to Space

The station will launch you back to space so you may continue on your journeying.

extract ends

Tips

• Choose your passengers wisely - some wish to travel further than others. Check on where they want to go via the Galaxy Map before committing to a journey you aren't sure you want to take.
  • Plan your journey before leaving the safety of the space stations.
  • If your shields are damaged it may be wise to stop at a station on the way to your destination to recharge them.
  • Charge your weapon before encountering enemies, but don't hold X constantly as it stops your shields recharging as you fly.
  • Use your hyperspace ability within systems to save on journey time or to escape a tough spot, especially as the galaxy becomes more and more dangerous.
  • Note that the game is only paused in the Main Menu, other screens don't freeze time.

If you are not sure what to do:

• try ferrying passengers
  • later in the game, try reading the Beeb News or listening to what the NPC ships say to you.

Good Luck, Captain!

V1.1

• UI colour changes

• fade effect improved

• screen shake added

• difficulty reduced (a bit); enemies are slower, shots do less damage

V1.2

• UI improvements: menus

• bad loads shouldn't crash the game so badly

• a little music for the title screen

• bug fix: re-calculated system object placing so shouldn't ever be inside a system's star
P#89915 2021-04-03 16:56 ( Edited 2023-03-27 17:06)

Cart #yezerupoza-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#89924 2021-04-03 16:51

Cart #blockrush_artridge-3 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Block Rush is a retro styled puzzle game where you can't stop moving until you hit something.
Reach the chest to win and take the crown for added challenge.
Move with your arrow keys, enter a level with X and exit it with O. Interact with objects with X once in a level.
Encounter a variety of objects as you progress through the increasingly difficult levels.

P#89918 2021-04-03 14:03 ( Edited 2021-04-05 12:04)

Cart #gofastdeliverthings-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Go fast deliver things

In a world where delivery is plentiful and the times are good the workers, that is the robots, are thinking that perhaps things could be better. While performing deliveries on time you also have an opportunity to make change in the world, the choice is yours, deliverer.

Controls

• Movement — ⬅️ ➡️
  • Jump / Start / Retry — ❎ / X

Your current deliveries are listed in the top left, you need to visit those house numbers to make each delivery.

Game Jam

This is an entry for the second Eggplant Community Game Jam #2 where the theme is "Good Times with Bad Robots". The source for the cart can be be found in this pico8-carts repo.

Thanks

This is the second game I've completed and released, I hope you enjoy it!

Huge thanks to Gruber for the beautiful game music which is the "Morning Shower" track from Pico-8 Tunes Vol. 2.

Thanks to Lexaloffle for making PICO-8, it was a real pleasure to work with.

A big thank you to the Eggplant Show community who inspired me to make another game and have given great feedback along the way.

P#89916 2021-04-03 12:52 ( Edited 2021-04-03 12:53)

Cart #zattack-1 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Turn-based strategy. Do not let the monsters pass You!
Eliminate 10 waves of attack to win.

P#89913 2021-04-03 09:52

Cart #planets_n_sol-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Completely innacurate, but still looks cool IMO.

Also, space music!

I wanted to make a space game that looks like this, but eventually gave up and just made it a visualisation of the first four planets of our Solar System. I think it look cool, and am especially proud of the music.

Enjoy watching the rock spheres spin around and around. I sure did!

P#89911 2021-04-03 08:53 ( Edited 2021-04-03 08:57)

My question(s) is, what is the best way to store level data and/or do you need a special PICO-8 level editor to do that? I am asking because I'm currently making a game with more levels than one map can handle.

P#89899 2021-04-03 03:42

A question about dialogue boxes!

I'm new to both coding and Pico so bear with me, maybe there's no right answer but would appreciate suggestions.

Say you have a standard type of RPG game with a character who moves, and you approach or talk to an NPC, triggering a dialogue box on top of what's already on the screen (just like any old pokemon or dragon quest game). What would be an efficient way to do this? Load a new scene but don't clear the screen? Disable the player character's movement and actions while a list of text cycles through?

I've made a clunky textbox function (see image) but there must be a better way.

Any ideas or links to successful examples would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

P#89896 2021-04-03 03:14

Cart #sussy-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I hope nobody presses X

P#89895 2021-04-03 02:31 ( Edited 2021-04-21 16:57)

Cart #happy_bee_time-0 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

~Happy Bee Time~

Hi! I'm Taffy, and this is my first published Pico-8 game Happy Bee Time!
This is a randomly generated bee simulator where you just try to get as many bees as you can.
You explore by either buying tiles yourself for honey or letting the bees explore themselves.
Once you have enough honey, you can find a tree and get even more beeeeees!
I would like to add more to it in the future, though it will take some time before I do.
This was a very fun project to work with, and I am very happy with the pixel art and where
my programming skills with Pico-8 are going. I have learned a lot, and I hope you guys like it!

Controls:

• 🔼🔽◀️▶️: movement
  • ❎: buy tiles/beehives
  • 🅾️: close/next message
P#89893 2021-04-03 02:20 ( Edited 2021-04-08 22:20)

Cart #frlytweetningow-4 | 2021-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Random fireflies that procedurally syncs up in 270 Chr, not bad for a first tweetcart i guess?
Ctrl+r to start again

the code:

s,r,c=sin,rnd,pset p={}
for i=0,200 do p[i] = {}
for j=1,3 do p[i][j] = r(128)-64 end
end::_:: cls()for i=0,200 do for j=1,2 do po=p[i]
p[i][j]=(po[j]+r(2)-1)%128 end
po[3]+=(po[3]>p[flr(r(50))+1][3])and -0.1 or 0.1
c(po[1],po[2],1+s((po[3]/64)*t())%11)
end flip()goto _
P#89887 2021-04-03 00:21

[sfx]
Another thing I made.

P#89883 2021-04-02 22:40 ( Edited 2021-04-03 01:58)

Cart #caroline-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A Portal demake disguised as a Celeste Classic mod.

Note: This is not a demo, if anything were to make you think so. 👀

Controls

E + S + D + F - Move
Left Mouse Button - Fire Blue Portal
Right Mouse Button - Fire Orange Portal
A or Middle Mouse Button - Clear Portals

by Meep and Lord SNEK

Music by RubyRed

P#89882 2021-04-02 21:22 ( Edited 2021-04-06 17:15)

Cart #tetrachess_ver4-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Is it Tetris, or maybe chess? Kind of both, but actually neither. Nonetheless, this is a game about strategy and sacrifice, borrowing notes from both Tetris and chess.

Tetrachess is a puzzle game in which your goal is to capture the AI opponent's chess pieces using your own chess pieces, following chess rules. However, the board is not like in chess at all. You have to drop Tetris blocks (tetriminos) containing the opposing chess pieces to the playfield. After you have dropped a tetrimino, it's time to move your chess pieces. You can capture the opposing chess pieces, earning you points, or you can eat the garbage blocks, cleaning up the playfield. After your own turn, the opponent moves their own chess pieces, potentially capturing yours.

Capturing the opposing pieces is required for getting points, but in this game it's also important to keep the playfield clean, in order to not reach the top. This is because there are two conditions for a defeat: if the Tetris blocks reach the top of the playfield, or if your king gets captured.

Controls:

In Tetris phase:

• Left/right: move the piece left/right
  • Cross/Circle (X/Z): rotate the piece clockwise/counter clockwise
  • Up: Hard drop
  • Down: Soft drop

In chess phase:

• Left/right/up/down: move the reticle
  • X: choose the chess piece to be moved and after moving it to the target, press again to move the piece

Tips:

• Two of the bottom rows are safe. This means that you can't destroy them with Tetris moves. Be careful, as on the other rows you can even destroy your own chess pieces!
  • Like in chess, you can promote your pawns into a more valuable chess pieces (knight, bishop, rook, king, queen) if you get them high enough on the board. In this game, you can even have multiple kings on the playfield (could be useful just in case your previous king dies, I guess).
  • You can clear a line by filling the last spot with a chess move. Completely empty rows will be deleted and everything on top of it will be dropped down.
  • T-spins also work. However, note that doing fancy Tetris moves or clearing lines of garbage blocks will not give you points. Only captured or destroyed chess pieces give you points.
  • Points given are: 1 (pawn), 2 (knight), 3 (rook, bishop), 4 (king, queen)

Feedback will be highly appreciated!

Updates:
(2.4.2021) Made a very quick fix (hopefully) fixing a crash
(5.4.2021) Reversed the rotation buttons and added a small delay before enemy movement

P#89880 2021-04-02 20:12 ( Edited 2021-04-05 07:27)

Example

Cart #coroutine_bug-6 | 2021-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Up/Down - change number of pixels drawn per frame by 20

Steps to reproduce

Write a program that runs nested coroutines when the frame end takes place.

Resulting and expected behavior

All coroutines except from the top one yield().

It's expected that coroutines resume normal work after frame end.

Example explanation

It's a program supposed to color the whole screen generating coordinates to color with a recursive coroutine (tab 2, "coroutine itself"). It is wrapped by a function that ensures all errors will be propagated and unwraps the output when no error is encountered (tab 1, "coroutine wrapper").

In pseudo code:

function coroutine(depth)
    if (depth == 0) yield{0,0} return

c = cocreate(coroutine)
    x,y = wrap(c, depth - 1)  -- a wrapper around coresume

while x do                -- this assumes that if x is nil then the coroutine
        yield{x,y}            -- has reached a return or end.
        x,y = wrap(c)
    end

c = cocreate(coroutine)
    x,y = wrap(c, depth - 1)

while x do
        yield shifted {x,y}
        x,y = wrap(c)
    end
end

Info written on screen:

1. Number of pixels coloured/number of pixels on screen
  2. Number of pixels coloured per frame (adjustable with Up/Down)
  3. Number of calls to subroutines of certain depth/expected number of calls

Failed workarounds

Adding a global table to hold recursive coroutines changes nothing.

Working workarounds

Limit the number of coroutine calls per frame with flip() outside the coroutines.

A wrapper that catches the nil yield and checks if the coroutine is dead. Doesn't work on coroutines that are supposed to yeld() or yield(nil)

WARNING! Skipps some coroutine outputs if flip() is called.

old_coresume = coresume
function coresume(c, ...)
    flag, out = old_coresume(c,...)
    if not flag or out != nil or costatus(c) == 'dead' then
        return flag, out  -- coroutine raised an error, yielded a non-nil value or finished
    else
        return coresume(c) -- resume from the unexpected yield()
    end
end

The example using an equivalent wrapper:

Cart #coroutine_bug-9 | 2021-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#89873 2021-04-02 17:54 ( Edited 2021-04-08 18:41)

Cart #idkgame-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#89857 2021-04-02 13:24

Cart #glide-1 | 2021-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game I made a little while back, but haven't posted here until now.

Glide through a wavy cavern with up and down. There are two gamemodes, an Endless Mode and a Sprint mode. There's also four color palettes. Enjoy!

Update (May 26, 2021)- A two-player multiplayer mode has been added.

P#89842 2021-04-02 01:04 ( Edited 2021-05-26 18:08)

[sfx]
A relatively simple remix I made.

P#89832 2021-04-01 21:55
View Older Posts